Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Chat with Chuck Weber - Director of Hockey Ops







 
The summer of 2013 is grinding along and following a barrage of signings a couple weeks ago, the news out of Panthers/Rampage camp has been quiet. Sure, the restricted free agents were signed, bringing Colby Robak, Michael Caruso, and Scott Timmins back into the fold, but other than that, it’s been nap time for us Rampage fans.

Last week, I was able to speak with Rampage Director of Hockey Operations, and former head coach, Chuck Weber as he was jet setting around upstate New York. He was very open and honest (as usual) and was able to give me plenty of blog worthy info. (All quotes are paraphrased as Weber called while I was in my car. No recorder, had to pull over and take shorthand notes)

On his new role as Dir. Of Hockey Ops:
        Mike (Santos) is still the man responsible for putting this team together. I’m now in a position where he can lean on my knowledge of the AHL and ECHL to give him input about players. It’s basically the same thing I was doing last year, but now I can focus more on that role without worrying about being the head coach as well.


On new Head Coach, Peter Horachek:

        Peter is a guy I’m very familiar with. When Mike Santos presented the idea to me after he was let go in Nashville, I told him to jump on it. He brings intensity and accountability to the locker room. He’s been a finalist for several NHL coaching jobs and, selfishly, having the opportunity to work with a guy with the NHL experience Peter has is a tremendous opportunity.



On Horachek’s style:
        
          Yeah, I guess I’m a “Player’s coach”. My style is to let the guys make mistakes and then use that as a learning opportunity. Peter, he’s a little more intense. Players will know exactly what to expect from him. It will definitely be my role to be a go-between (I take this as a buffer, so to speak) for the boys and Peter.

 On this offseason:
          I think last year, we focused a little too much on size and it hurt us. We need to be more balanced when building a team. But, it’s a learning process and I think we definitely learned from last year and I think it shows in this year’s moves. There are still good players available at both levels (NHL and AHL), and we are always looking to upgrade if there’s a fit. That said, I think if everyone is healthy, we are in a pretty good spot. There will be some battles for those last couple of spots in Florida, but even those guys that lose out will be good players in San Antonio.
On the goalies:
         Well, Jacob was just signed and he will be given every opportunity to win that #1 job in Florida. They still have a real pro up there as well in Clem to back up. Michael Houser was very good in Cincinnati last year and we are very comfortable with him being in San Antonio this season. Frankly, he has very little left to prove in the ECHL. But like I said, there are good players still available, and the organization is always looking.
 On Jon Matsumoto:
        Jon LOVED the time he spent in San Antonio. When he left last time, it was strictly a business decision. When we expressed an interest, he was very excited to play in San Antonio again. Jon is an extremely skilled guy that can play just about anywhere and him being here will be a big boost to the offense.
 On the state of the current roster:
         I think we’ll have a good blend of young guys and vets. We have a lot of depth at center, but those guys can move to wing if needed. Its not as easy to move a guy from wing to center, so I prefer to build depth at center and on defense.
 On what he’s most looking forward to this season:
        First and foremost, watching the young guys develop. It will be fun watching guys like Bjugstad, Trocheck, and Howden improve their games and make that next step to being a pro. Secondly, redemption.For both the Rampage and the Panthers. Last season was awful…just awful. I’m looking forward to getting back out there and putting that all behind us and moving forward.

I'd like to once again thank Chuck for taking the time to answer my questions. It would have been very easy for him to put this off until he got back to San Antonio for the season. My next mission...Greg Rallo. So keep checking back for more summer updates.  

Also, I would be remiss if I failed to mention some heroes. Josh Sweeney, Rico Roman, and Jen Yung Lee of the Rampage sled hockey team were named to the U.S. team and will compete at the 2014 Paralympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia. Full story can be found here. These three are the true heroes and deserve 100% of our support. Well done and go get that gold!


No comments:

Post a Comment